Cross-cultural communication expert Taruni Falconer helps people work in other cultures or come to Australasia. Her role is to help them navigate their new cultural landscape and work settings.
Effectively, Taruni Falconer is a Habits Coach. She helps leaders communicate effectively in high-stakes situations and teach them how to develop powerful habits and practices.
Taruni Falconer is aware that to be successful in cross-cultural situations we need to communicate in a way that is appropriate to the new setting – rather than accidentally offending the locals. And, that how we communicate goes beyond the words we use.
Ideas Architect Podcast
Some of the things you will learn from Episode 101 of the Ideas Architect Podcast include:
- What is the cross-cultural challenge and why is it important?
- How it is possible that people in India and other cultures might actually be saying ‘No’ even though they speak the word ‘Yes’.
- Why presuming a dominant culture is no longer appropriate or effective in the workplace.
- What is the cultural communication style of Australians? And, what impact does this have on our relationships with people from other cultures?
- Why are clothes are more than just a physical representation of our cultural expression?
- The importance of learning cultural principles rather than specific actions
- The three Cs of great facilitation
- Why investing in behaviour change through training is a better investment than merely telling people how to do it
- What Bruce Lee said about practice and performance
- The important difference between a habit and a practice
- The big challenge for business leaders and the key difference between how elite performers in sport and the arts train and improve their skills compared to the usual practices in the business world.
- Why building habits are essential to overcoming automatic and default behaviour when working in cross-cultural situations
Habits are unconscious; Practices are deliberate – Taruni Falconer
Resources for Building Habits
- Anders Ericsson and Robert Pool – Peak
- Charles Duhigg – The Power of Habits
- Peter Bergman – 18 Minutes
- James Clear
To talk of a dominant culture is to show an outdated mindset – Taruni Falconer
Podcast Show Notes
- Taruni Falconer’s website
- Professor BJ Fogg Tedx Talk: Forget big change, start with a tiny habit
- Professor BJ Fogg Tedx Talk: Tiny surprises for happiness and health
- The Automatic Success Program – How to build deliberate practices to achieve your goals with less effort and more power