Is your website safe?
Whilst I was completely oblivious to this, I received a call from my trusty web hosting company to tell me about the problem and reduce the impact of a potential future disaster for you and your customers.
This experience has prompted this podcast episode with my website host to warn you of the potential dangers and what you can do to protect yourself in the future.
Today, we talk with Brian Coogan. He is the Managing Director of WD3, formerly known as White Dog Green Frog. WD3 are a specialist website hosting company based in Melbourne and they have a strong focus on website security. Brian also teaches online security classes to the Defence forces.
[Tweet “Brian Coogan from WD3 talks about how to protect your website #hacking”]
The BIG ideas
In plain English, here are some of the things we talk about:
- The new reality of website hacking – the potential for problems and what you can do about them
- The importance of making website backups
- The crucial value of your domain names and how to protect
- Ensuring that you legally own your website design
- The simple difference between web hosting and email hosting
- The importance of knowing where your web servers are located
- How to manage your email hosting easily and cheaply
- The arms race of staying ahead of your email spam
- The one word to never have in your email subject line
- Why a slow web server can be costing you online sales
- Getting started with your ecommerce site
- How to create secure passwords and manage them with ease
- How to email your passwords safely
- What to look for when selecting a good web hosting provider
- WD3 website – I personally use and recommend WD3 for my web hosting
- WD3 Phone Number: 1300 760 850
- WD3 have also been generous in supporting Street Children in South America
- Google Apps – I personally use and recommend Google Apps
- Mailchimp Resources – I personally use and recommend Mailchimp
- Last Pass – password protection and storage